Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pledge of Allegiance

Listen to me read this post.


I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. 



These words are the United States Pledge of Allegiance.   Like many Americans I learned it as an elementary school student.  We said it every morning at the beginning of the school day.  It is also recited when the US flag is raised, at the beginning of ceremonies, patriotic events and holidays, and at some sporting events. 

When saying the Pledge of Allegiance it is proper to stand, face the flag and place your right hand over your heart. 

As citizens of other countries, who are learning English,  I do not expect you to memorize and repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.   I only want to share a piece of American culture with you. 

I've also posted a video of the American actor John Wayne reciting the Pledge and talking about what it means to him. 

Thanks for listening.  This has been Cassie Brenn for fastfoodenglish.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment