Monday, April 9, 2012

Favorite Poems


hear me read this post
People often have favorite poems. They carry a copy of their favorite poem in their wallets or hang a copy on the wall in their bedroom.  Some people even memorize their favorite poems.


Why do people have favorite poems?  I think it's because poems feel personal.  Poets use words that help us see, hear and feel their experiences, so we feel them too.  And maybe, it's an experience or feeling that you share but didn't know how to express. The poem feels like it is about your life and your experiences.

At the website  Favorite Poems Project You can listen to videos of different people reading and discussing their favorite poems.  Such as the video by  a Chinese-American teenager from Georgia named Yina Liang.  She talks about her favorite poem, #288  I'm Nobody!  Who are you? By Emily Dickinson.  Yina describes the pressure of being a teenager and feeling like everyone wants her to be somebody and that's why she feels a connection to this poem because sometimes she wants to be a nobody. 
    
Do you have a favorite poem?  Tell me about it in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. wow, it's awesome :D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I'm on a bit of a mission to get my favorite classic poem up in to my top ten posts so it shows on the sidebar. So it would be great if you would have a look. Ozymandias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole,
      Thanks for stopping by, unfortunately the link didn't work so I was unable to see your favorite poem.

      Delete