Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Earthquake!

Listen to me read this post


One year ago today, August 23, 2011.  I was living in Falls Church, VA when something unusual happened.  I was sitting in my apartment when a strange rumbly feeling came from the floor.  It was a strange sensation and I tried to figure out what was going on.  Are they doing roadwork outside? I wondered.  Maybe someone is drilling in the apartment next door? But the rumbly feeling quickly grew stronger and stronger until the whole building was shaking. And then I knew - this is an earthquake! And just like that it was over.

Earthquakes in Virgina on the east coast of the United States are rare events. In the last 100 years, there have only been 2 earthquakes large enough to be felt.  Compare that to California on the west coast of the United States which have a couple large earthquakes every year.  

Luckily, no one was killed during this earthquake and there was very little damage. However,  the Washington monument in DC cracked in several place near the top and still remains closed until they can successfully repair it.

For me, it was a unique experience that I will always remember.

Thanks for listening.  This has been Cassie Brenn for fastfoodenglish.blogspot.com     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment