Sunday, August 12, 2012

Why learn English Movie Quotes?

Hi everyone.  This week I am on vacation so that means no Topic of the Week.  However, I wanted to leave you with something fun to read and talk about.  That's when I came across this great post at PhraseMix entitled The 25 Most Famous English Movie Quotes.  

Why learn English Movie Quotes?
Answer - because Americans use these famous lines all the time in everyday speech.  For example, the other day when I was talking about the National Zoo,  I said "lions, and tigers and bears, oh my!"  I was quoting the movie The Wizard of Oz.  

Here is another example.  People often say "I'll be back"  when they leave a room.    This might not seem out of the ordinary but if they do it with a funny Austrian accent, they are quoting actor Arnold Schwarzenegger from the movie Terminator.  If you didn't know about the movie, you might think they were being weird.  Now you understand.

Read the whole list at the link above.



No comments:

Post a Comment