Monday, August 27, 2012

Fast Food Commercials

Listen to me read this post


Today I have a bunch of funny fast food commercials for you to watch.  They are from different fast food restaurants that are in the United States.  There are 2 from McDonald's, 1 from Chick-fil-a and the last one is from Subway. 


For your language link, the Subway commercial is the most important.  I have put a transcript of what they are saying after the videos.   But what I want you to notice is how the people are ordering the food.  They are ordering at a speaker in the drive thru lane.  This is a common way to order food at a fast food restaurant in US.  Almost all fast food places have a drive thru lane.  No need to get out of your car when you can just drive up to the window and place your order.  

In the commercial they are ordering funny things which I will talk about in a minute, but what they say when they order is very typical. The worker asks "Can I help you?"  And the customer responds "can I get a..."  If you go to any fast food place in the US and whether you order at the drive thru or inside the restaurant at the counter, they will probably use those exact words or they may say "Can I take your order?"  And a typical response would be 
"can I get a ..." or
"I'll have the ..." or
"Give me a ..."

Ok, so let's talk about what the couple orders.   They order a double chin, blubber, thunder thighs, and a badonkadonk butt.  These are all slang words for fat to suggest that when you order fast food what you really get is a fatter body.   Blubber is another word for fat  usually for the fat around the stomach.  The other words - a double chin, thunder thighs and a badonkadonk butt describe other parts of the body.

I'm sure you know these words are not flattering and you should not use them unless you want to insult someone. However, people often use them to describe themselves.  They might say, "I really need to work off these thunder thighs at the gym." But be careful when you try to use these words because you could hurt someone's feelings.

Enjoy the videos.

Thanks for listening. This has been Cassie Brenn for fastfoodenglish.blogspot.com.  



Subway Commercial Greasy Fast Food

Worker:   Can I help you?

Man:   Can I get the love handles, double chin and some blubber.

Worker:  Do you want the double blubber?

Man: sure.

Woman:   And I'll have the same thing but instead of the blubber can I get some thunder thighs, and a badonkadonk butt.

Worker:   Please drive around.

Narrator:   When you get greasy fast food, what are you really getting.  Introducing the new Subway fresh fit meals with new better for you sides and drinks. The new Subway fresh fit meals fit into the American Heart Associations approach to a healthy lifestyle.  Subway eat fresh.



No comments:

Post a Comment