Thursday, August 23, 2012

Yellowstone National Park

One of my favorite National Parks is Yellowstone.   It has amazing natural features like geysers that shoot water high into the air and abundant wildlife such as huge herds of American buffalo.   The area is so amazing and unusual that when the first explorers and hunters wrote about it no one believed them.  Their descriptions seemed too crazy to be true. These days we have cameras to support our descriptions and as we say in the US, "Seeing is believing!"  Take a look for yourself at this YouTube video of the park.


Language Link
"Seeing is believing" is an idiom that means that you can only know something is true if you see it for yourself.    A related phrase is "I'll believe it when I see it."  You can use this phrase if someone tells you something but you don't believe it.  For example, your friend says, "the cafeteria is serving ice cream for lunch."  You reply, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Why did I say too crazy?  Because too is an informal way of saying very.  Here is another example - I don't like this cake because it is too sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment